How to Write: Tips From an Amateur

I know, I know. Another day missed, but do not fret. Let it be known, that, yes, I did forget to write a post yesterday, but please understand that I only forget to post a blog because I am working on something important for my future. Yesterday, I was submitting articles to a few magazines, so I can eat and survive. Don't worry, I'm not struggling with poverty just yet, but I like to prepare and save money just in case. If I continue to save money for the time when I am low on funds; I will never actually be low on funds. You see, it makes sense.

It might also be, that I forget to write on here because it's something new I'm trying. It takes a little time to get back into a strong state of self-discipline. I'm doing my best to remember, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to set a daily reminder for myself. Actually, that sounds pretty good. I'll do that right now. Alright, now that that's over with... A quick update:

I finished the outline for another book that I'm working on, so that's going okay. I've never written an outline for a book before. I like starting with an idea and just letting the story unfold itself as I start jotting it down. Outlines seem a little too... constrictive. Like a railroad track. Once you're on, it's just following the path. But, I wanted to make sure that idea I had had the chops to stick it out for an entire book. Plus, I figure that just because you're forced to ride a train to each destination, doesn't mean that you know what'll happen on the way there. Hell, you may even find something more interesting on one stop, and decide that another train suits your purpose better than the one you've been on. There's no way of truly knowing what will happen in your story until you start it.

That being said, I'm very happy to begin a new story. I hope it goes well. As exhausting it is to write four hours a day is, it's just as exhilarating. Usually, when someone tells me what's it like to write a book, I grin and say that's it's tiring and they shouldn't do it. I do reiterate and say that it's also very rewarding, but you have to make sure that you're prepared to go through the trials laid out in front of you. It's a long, and bumpy, and lonely road writing a book. But if you fight long enough to see the end of it, nothing is more satisfying then seeing your name on the cover of something.

So, I say, write down your ideas. Everyone's got them, and I know that because people tell me all the time that they have a ton of great ones. Their only problem they say is that they don't know how to write a book. Believe me, no one does. There's no real formula for it. Sure, there are successful people who will hand you How-To books on writing novels in the proper fashion, but it's really a free-for-all. Writing is art, and art has no boundaries. The best way to learn how to do it is to absorb the art of others. Drown yourself in works that you love. Understand how they do it, and then use their form to shape your own. For me, I've read almost all of Stephen King's books. Which is impressive considering how many he writes in a year. I love the way he writes suspense and horror. I love horror, and so I find great horror authors to emulate.

At first, you will write exactly like those authors. There's no real way to get around that first phase. But eventually, you will absorb enough of so many people that you can morph all of them into your style. All you have to do is start doing it. Get lost in your art. In the words of Stephen King: "If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot."

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Mental Illnesses Personified

Y2K Bug / New Blog

GOING AWAY PARTY!