Stress Talk

Let's talk about stress people. It's a hot subject that a lot of people deal with everyday. Some people a lot more than others. I've been told by some friends that I am the chillest person they've ever met. I think that's a huge compliment for me. I try my best, but, actually, I think what I do has a good amount of toxicity to it.

You see, what I do is I don't let things bother me. It really is that simple. Test coming up, I'll either pass it or I won't. Homework due at midnight, I've still got a couple hours no big deal. Someone is talking behind their back, sounds like their problem not mine. Certain things just don't effect me like they do some other people. I don't know why that is. Maybe I've got a little sociopath in me, but just the good parts. I'm alright with that if that's how it is. I've always wanted to see a psychiatrist just to see if I've got anything funky going on in my head. I've also wanted to spend a week in a mental asylum for a week to see what's like. Same with pretending to be blind for a week. I guess I'm just a curious person that wants to know what life is like in another person's shoes. That's why I went to college to be a psychology major...

Anyway, back to stress. What I do with stress is kind of sort it out into groups. Things like social, political, homework, etc...: that all gets ignored because it bears no importance to my life or where I'm trying to get at any one time. But, money and work and things that actually affect my life and can stunt my living are stressful to me. Because they effect how I live my life. I couldn't care less about the things an old classmate is doing now. I haven't spoken to them in five years. As far as I'm concerned, that person has been thrown out of my head and deleted. No offense, that's just how I think. My family moved around a lot when I was younger, and every 8-year-old didn't have a cell phone, so when you left a town you were basically saying goodbye to all of your friends forever. If that makes me a bad person because I don't remember second-grade with you, well then that's that. Maybe find some more friends and move on. I did.

On a different kind of stress level, let's chat a little about anxiety. For me, anxiety is wildly different than stress. Especially on a heightened level. Anxiety is much more damaging the stronger it is. Stress leads to anxiety at a certain level, and anxiety in turn leads to panic attacks. Panic attacks I am familiar with. At least on a lesser level, and by that I mean, I might not have experienced a true panic attack, but I know what it feels like when my head is about to explode, my lungs stop working, and the world gets gray. If there's a term for that please let me know. My "panic attacks" don't happen often, but I've gotten good at avoiding situations where one might occur. Which doesn't sound very healthy, but in a burning room with babies and sweet elderly people; I would make sure I knew how to get myself out first, and if, and only if, I had time I would consider saving the others. I know it doesn't sound good, but I like to think of myself as a survivor.

Panic attacks for me usually occur with loud noises. Not just loud music, because I love going to concerts. I'm talking about absurdly loud beats and excessive talking that grows louder and louder. Here's an example that happened to me recently:

Went to a bar the other day. I could already see from outside how tightly packed it was inside. Already not a good sign for me because I'm a little claustrophobic. I walk inside, and it's so hot because of all the sweaty people. Hot and humid air is hard to breathe. And this phenomenon happens that everyone knows about, but nobody ever realizes it's going on in the moment. The music is playing very loud, so it's hard to hear the people you're talking to, so you begin to talk louder over the music. But then, the music is hard to hear, so the volume gets turned up. Repeat until I murder someone. I'm joking, but not really. This amount of ruckus drives me insane, and to top it all off, everyone inside the bar is fratty and #Sisterhood. My least people on the planet. And they're not talking about anything important, which I also hate. Ignorant, going nowhere, conversation. And when it's screamed at you from all sides, can anyone blame me for wanting to run out of their just to keep from throwing a punch? The only thing you can do in those situations, other than start hurting people, is finding ways to bring your blood pressure down to a safer level.

I have a notes app on my phone, and I like to write my thoughts out on that. Everything that i would like to scream at everyone around me is safely put into digital words. As graphic and horrible as i can make it, the better for me. It lets me vent and breathe. But, that's what I do. I'm sure other people have other methods. Counting to ten, one of those fidget gadgets can be good, whatever it is. Write me a comment on what you do to reduce your stress levels. Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts

Mental Illnesses Personified

Y2K Bug / New Blog

GOING AWAY PARTY!