Sports! What Is It Good For?

Can I ask a question?

What is the deal with sports? I mean, why is it such a HUGE chunk in all of our lives?
I’m not saying that I hate sports. I played sports in high school, the one’s available to me in a small 300-student middle/high school in Missouri, and they’re great. Sports are good exercise. But, I’m talking about the obsessiveness that we have for it all. Player stats so specific that people know A player’s stats professionally, back when they were in college (and the player’s on that team’s stats), and their stats from high school. It’s too much. Too much obsession, too much money, and too damn distracting. Doesn’t anybody else notice in all those restaurants with big flat screen TVs, flashing every sport there is, there’s that one tiny box in the corner showing a news anchor talking about a much bigger, important, and way more dangerous world. 

I sometimes feel alone on this subject. There's a lot more to complain about then your favorite basketball team lost yesterday. It's not going to change anything in your life except whether or not you wear your $80 jersey tomorrow. Why don't you complain about how you didn't get anything done yesterday because you had no time to do it. Think back to that 4 hour baseball game you watched yesterday. And your team lost, so it wasn't even worth it. It just seems like, especially these days, since people can watch sports anywhere they are at any given time. And, if the missed one game, or want to watch more than one at once, you've got your handy-dandy computer with a phone in your pocket.

One positive I get from sports is using it as a humorous annoyance. Humorous for me, annoyance to literally anyone I feel like should give me any attention. One of my favorite things to do is: when people say things like "Did you see the game last night, we lost.", "Come on guys we'll  get 'em next half.", or "We're number 1! We're number 1!" I like telling those people, "Oh, you lost too?" And I know a lot of you are reading this going, "Okay, whatever, that joke is like a hundred years old." Which is fair. I'm not saying it's not, but I still love saying it, nonetheless. I just like poking buttons for the sake of poking buttons. There's no reason to it. Just joy. But, I find the more I do it I realized more of what I assumed would happen. Subconsciously, that is.

I think, that my subconscious is hoping that by letting people in on the joke that they don't actually play the sport they're just watching it. they'll start to realize how unimportant it is too get all pissed off from a missed field goal attempt.

I have a friend from high school, whose name will remain hidden but you know who you are, that I played this game with. It was more trivia/black magic. You see, this dude knows all the facts on every player, on every team, and every year from the start of whatever sport. That's an exaggeration, but honestly I'm sure that I'm not far off. His specialty, at least from what I knew, was baseball. So, I would give him a position on the field a random team, and a random year from the last 40 or 50 years. He'd think for a few seconds, and then he'd give me the name of the player every time. Now, I know what you're thinking again. How do I know that he wasn't just making up names? Well, I could've checked online. I did not do that, so he could've been fucking with me, but his swiftness and extreme confidence in his answers told me it was more than likely correct. All that is cool, but that seems like a lot of wasted storage space in someone's head. And don't even get me started with wasted space in people's heads. That's a subject for it's very own blog post. Maybe tomorrow's. I guess we'll have to wait and see. So long Readers.

Comments

Popular Posts

Mental Illnesses Personified

Y2K Bug / New Blog

GOING AWAY PARTY!