Dark Humor and Why the World Needs It

Happy Fourth of July everyone! Hope it's going well, and you're all shooting your fireworks and grilling hot dogs. For me, I decided to just go the grilling route this year. I grilled a bunch of bratwursts, and I'm going to sit on the couch and watch Seinfeld all day. I think that's the most American thing to do on this day. Better than fireworks, at least. I mean, they are from China.

Anyway, I was watching this documentary this morning about comedians making jokes about Nazis and the Holocaust and whether or not that was okay. It dealt a lot with survivors of the Holocaust and what they thought, and it was very interesting. Some would say that all they had while in the camps was humor. They used the laughter to ease their struggle. Then, of course, there were other survivors that couldn't imagine anyone finding anything about that time funny. Makes sense. Understandable.

There were a lot of funny comedians, writers, and directors that talked throughout the film. For them, they felt that it was good to laugh at the hard stuff. Helped shed some light on the darkness of the situation. And, when I was watching, my mind kept going to the freedom of speech. Censors on TV and stuff like that.

Sarah Silverman says something along the lines of when you censor speech, or make a word or phrase taboo; that's when that word or phrase becomes dangerous. I like that, and it reminded me of an episode of South Park when they said the word "shit" about 200 times throughout the episode to prove a point. By the end of the episode the word is boring. The sting is gone, and that's the whole point of doing. To prove that if you constantly use the word it will eventually lose its power. It's just a jumble of letters that a long time ago some old dude declared that it was wrong to say. Doesn't make any sense.

Another thing I thought was funny about the freedom of speech and the jokes about the Holocaust was that people get so offended when they hear a Jewish joke like that, but for some reason, everyone jumps on the president joke bandwagon. I'm not saying that they shouldn't, but I find it humorous when people say, "You can't make fun of Jewish people that's in bad taste." but, those same people will tweet, "Oh, did everyone see what President Stupid Fatso did today? What an absolute IDIOT!!"

I sort of get it. It's fun to make fun of people in power because they boss you around. It's fun and everyone can get in on it. But, the president is someone we, allegedly, elected to run our country, so it's funny to me when people make fun of him because he was elected by the people. I don't know. It's funny to see what's offensive to people and what isn't. Jews? They're safe; don't even try it. They been through enough. The president? Oh, tear that pig limb from limb and light the pieces on fire in the streets.

What I think, for me, is that since I feel more comfortable making those kind of jokes that most people see are in bad taste is because I didn't live in that time. I wasn't around to experience, so for me it's just history. Doesn't matter as much. Not that I don't know that it was a tragedy, because of course I'm aware of it. It just doesn't hit me in the heart. Same with 9/11. I don't remember that happening. I can't recall a thing from that day. I was only 5. I didn't watch the news. I was too busy with my Lego set.

Someone, I don't know who, but someone once said, "Tragedy plus time equals comedy." and I fully stand behind that. If that wasn't true, then Mel Brooks would never be famous. So many comedians would be out on the streets living in boxes. If people never found humor in past events the world be nothing but darkness. And I won't accept that. People need to laugh at their problems, and tragedies. It relieves the stress, and it makes it easier to put the past where it belongs: behind you. And, I understand that some people need more time than others, but you can't deny ten people happiness because one guy can't let it go. That would be wrong. He may groan right now, but at some point his body will be so tense from thinking about that event that he will need to let off some steam. Even if he doesn't mean to laugh, it's good for him. People do that all the time. A comedian tells a racist joke or something (and it's a good joke. It has to be good or else these jokes don't work as well) and people do that thing where they laugh, and then say, "Oh, that's awful. I shouldn't be laughing at that." They say it while holding their stomach or wiping away a tear.

Time heals all wounds, and I think it uses comedy to numb the pain. I hope you all enjoyed this post. I think it's an important topic that needs to be discussed more. If you want to watch the documentary, it's called "The Last Laugh" and it's streaming on Netflix right now. Please go and watch it. I'll see all tomorrow. Buh-bye.

Comments

Popular Posts

Mental Illnesses Personified

Y2K Bug / New Blog

GOING AWAY PARTY!