My Writer's Helping Guide

Hey, everyone! Today, I'm going to help out any fellow writers out there that read this blog by talking about some of the different sites I use to help with my writing. Here we go!


  1. Submittable.com
    • A perfect place for anyone that has any art they want shared, and even paid for
    • You set up a free account, and customize your opportunities; be it photography, fiction, non-fiction, painting, doesn't matter
    • The discover list is organized by deadlines. The offers without deadlines are at the top in their own little group
    • Submittable has contests and normal magazine submissions
    • Some offers make you pay to submit, and that's either because it's a new company, or if you're submitting for a contest everyone's contribution goes into the grand prize
  2. Random Image Prompts
    • Here's the link: http://writingexercises.co.uk/random-images.php
    • One of the writing exercises I enjoy the most is image prompts. This website generates a random picture for you, and you take that image and make a story out of it.
    • This is a great exercise for opening your imagination
    • This website was the catalyst for a lot of my short stories
    • You can find tons of these websites online
  3. Character Eye Descriptions
    • Here's the link: https://writersinthestorm.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/eyes-windows-into-a-characters-soul/
    • I use this website when I'm having trouble describing a character's feelings or motivations
    • Written by Sharla Rae, this blog post is organized nicely into different groups
    • It's very descriptive and easy to find what you need
  4. Screenplaylists.com
    • Okay, this one is more for my scripts, but if you're into that, then check it out
    • There are hundreds of screenplays on this website to read and learn from
    • I use this site to see different styles of writing screenplays, and to see just how different a screenplay can be from the actual movie (Surprising)
    • The screenplays are listed in groups of Top Screenplays by genre, awards, writer, and even a list of the 101 greatest screenplays ever written
  5. Pinterest
    • I was hesitant to joining Pinterest at first, but when I saw that I could find writing tips I was in all the way
    • Hundreds of fellow writers sharing tips and tricks that they've found
    • Thousands of writing prompts for every genre can be found here, as well
  6. Thesaurus.com
    • I feel like this is an easy one to understand
    • Sometimes you've got that certain word on the tip of your tongue, but you can't grab it
    • Every writer should use thesaurus as a learning tool. Very helpful
I think that's everything. I use most of these websites for inspiration only. Once I've got the idea, I can take care of the story from there. Unless, of course, I need a thesaurus or a specific eye description I can't figure out. 

I hope this list helps a lot of people find the inspiration they need to begin their own stories. Let me know what you all think about this. See you tomorrow.

Buh-bye.

Comments

Popular Posts

Mental Illnesses Personified

Y2K Bug / New Blog

GOING AWAY PARTY!