Concert Community

Concerts. We love them-some people do, at least. They're a great way to see the person who sings that song you listen to on repeat all day, every day. I was at a concert last night in Kansas City. It was amazing. A nice rock n' roll jam session. I'm tired, my body hurts, and my voice is all but gone, but it was worth it.

While I was at the concert, of course I saw hundreds of people with their phones out taking videos and pictures of the event. I don't do that. In fact, I'm one of those people that turn their phone off when I walk in because I don't feel the need to show everyone where I am or what I'm doing. If someone asks what I did, I'll say I was at a concert, and when they ask why they didn't see any pictures on my social media I tell them that if they wanted to see the concert, they should've gone. It's sort of an asshole response, but I think it's funny and a good response.

I also don't take any pictures-not even for myself-because I have a memory. I can remember being there. I don't need a picture or video to remind me. I'm reminded every time I listen to a song. I'd rather watch the concert. I guess that makes me the asshole because I paid for the ticket, and didn't look at my phone. I go to concerts to enjoy myself and let loose.

If you've ever been to a concert in the last ten years, then you know that feeling of when you look around at the people around you and see a lot of them with the faces down looking at their phone. It's like COME ON! There is an awesome live show happening in front of you, and all you're concerning yourself with is how to word the caption on your Instagram. You know what a good caption is for that blurry picture of the band playing: I heard the concert was good, but I was too busy looking down at my phone to notice.

And those people that use Snapchat as a way to broadcast the entire show... Come on, it's as if your friends wanted to come but couldn't, so you post the entire thing on your story as a kind of "free ticket." Dumb. Most of the time nobody else wants to see that. They just click through it-which, by the way, takes about ten minutes of continuous clicking-and don't care. Nobody cares about your blurry videos that are impossible to hear!

Just...watch the concert from now on, people. And you know what? Go ahead and apply this to movies too. Put the phones down. Enjoy the entertainment that you PAID for! Your friends can wait 2 hours for you to respond. It won't be the end of the world if you don't tweet every five minutes. Just accept the fact that you're not quite as special as you think. I know it sounds harsh, but this generation of zombies needs to hear this. You're not special. If you want to be special you've got to work for it. People have it worse than you do. Oh, and the world isn't full of sunshine, rainbows, and people saying only nice things to you, so get over it when someone insults your personality.

I think I've gone on long enough. Sorry about the rant everyone, but this is something that has bothered me for a long time. Take some time and think about what I've laid before you. I'll see you tomorrow.

Buh-bye.

Comments

Popular Posts

Mental Illnesses Personified

Y2K Bug / New Blog

GOING AWAY PARTY!